In this article, we’ll show you top 7 document management system for Linux desktop.
Document management system is an automated software solution for organizing, securing, capturing, digitizing, tagging, approving, and completing tasks with your business files. Although most document management systems store data in the cloud, a DMS is much more than just cloud storage.
The documents or files of a company where different people work collaboratively need to manage uniquely so that anyone can work on them, and users can have better version control. That is when a document management system comes in handy.
Top 7 Document Management System for Linux
Alfresco is an award-winning tool for document management. Alfresco delivers innovative content management solutions that connect, manage and protect your enterprise’s most important information – wherever it lives. With Alfresco’s open, cloud-native ECM, you can manage content from anywhere, connect information with users everywhere and deliver apps to any device. Alfresco enables businesses to increase worker productivity, govern valuable information and deliver exceptional customer experiences.
Document management software from Alfresco lets you get content under control, with seamless information governance and effective GDPR compliance that directly translates to tangible business benefits.
Key Features of Alfresco
- It has a full-fledged web app with session virtualization included.
- It has content tagging functionality, and you can search based on tags.
- Alfresco supports multiple record management standards, including 5015.2, MoReq2, NOARK, etc.
- Users can access the repository via SMB, FTP, WebDAV, NFS, and CMIS.
- Alfresco has multiple databases support like MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Database, IBM DB2, etc.
- It has built-in support for Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
OpenKM is a Free/Libre document management system that provides a web interface for managing nonspecific files. OpenKM includes a content repository, Lucene indexing, and jBPM workflow. The OpenKM system was developed using open technology.
OpenKM Document Management System helps you organize, maintain, and govern documents from managers and any person who creates or uses them in their business activities. Control and track the entire life cycle of every document with automation, notifications, and auditing.
Key Features of OpenKM
- The web-based client lets you access your files from anywhere around the world.
- The fluid user interface makes it easier to drag and drop files directly from your file explorer.
- Built-in Optical Character Recognition or OCR to scan images and extract data from them.
- Microsoft Office and Open Office add-in to make a faster workflow.
- Built-in advanced search engine so that users can search for files using different criteria.
- Advanced security features to make your documents safer.
LogicalDOC document management software contains a web-based user interface that performs operations including file sharing, setting security roles, and finding and auditing enterprise records and registers. By using a document management system, users can easily communicate and collaborate with one another.
LogicalDOC is a content repository, with Lucene indexing, Activiti workflow, and a set of automatic import procedures. The system was developed using Java technology.
Key Features of LogicalDOC
- The software can easily run on a cluster-based system.
- Users will get a .NET and PHP based full-fledged web UI.
- It has got a powerful Lucene based search engine that can index and search for files easily.
- Automatic version control is a very useful feature of this program. It can configure the first revision number.
- Multiple workspace system of this tool increases productivity.
- Its advanced plugin system can add different extra functionalities to this program.
Maarch is very useful for storing a high volume of documents. It is based on PHP and has every basic functionality of a document management system. Apart from the open-source product, Maarch has an Enterprise Edition with extra functionalities.
Key Features of Maarch
- The program has a modular design, and thus, the functionalities can be easily manageable.
- You can manage authorization clearance based on the hierarchy of the organization.
- Users can set different schemes for files based on classifications.
- The tool has physical archives management functionality.
SutiDMS is an online document management software solution that lets you organize, manage, share, and communicate your business critical information. A robust document management system that can meet the needs of organizations of any size. SutiDMS comes with integrated modules that help you with team collaboration, workflow management, and approvals. No download or installation require – you can work online anywhere, anytime.
Key Features of SutiDMS
- It has an advanced version controlling system.
- This tool is integrated with Suti Soft’s eSignature solution to simplify the approval process.
- It features an automated electronic records disposition system.
- This tool has an integrated graphics-based workflow management system.
OnlyOffice is an online document management system and office management program. It is simple and easy to use. It has the Enterprise, Developer, and Integration edition for different types of users. As the tool runs on a dedicated server provided by the developer company, it is not free. You can choose different plans according to your needs. The Integration edition lets you integrate this tool with your self hosted infrastructure. It is a partially open source document management system.
Key Features of OnlyOffice
- It is an all in one tool for mail, documents, projects, calendars, and much more.
- Integration support for popular DMS like Alfresco, ownCloud, SharePoint, etc.
- The original code is open-source on Github so that you can get extra flexibility.
- Free Android and iOS app support for working on the go.
Bitrix24 is a modern document management system with all modern features. It has different tariff plans for users with different needs. For small companies, it has a free plan with limited functionalities. This is a great option to get started. It has a full-fledged add-on store to extend the functionalities of the tool.
Key Features of Bitrix24
- Private social networking feature makes it easier to catch up with the colleagues.
- The real-time video chatting option saves time and increases productivity.
- The workload management feature helps you to distribute tasks among workers with less pressure.
- It automatically creates recurring tasks from templates.
- It can visualize data with beautiful graphs and charts.
The tools mentioned above are some of the top 7 document management systems for Linux desktop. Few of them are free and open-source while others cost you money.